Saturday, April 4, 2009

Online tourneys and heads-up cash

I played a bit on Full Tilt the other night and had a mix of success and utter failure. I played a couple tourneys and at the same time a couple tables of heads-up cash.
I got smoked in the cash games, losing 2-3 buyins pretty quickly, it seems to follow the same pattern with me and these games lately: I play solid for a while, get coolered once and get crazy-aggro. I was in a 3-bet pot with AQ, flop Q82 I bet he calls. Turn is a 6, we get stacks in, he has A6, river 6. I then get it in preflop with 99 vs KJ lose, AK vs AJ chop, A10 vs 22 lose. I don't have the tilt-control for heads-up cash.
On the tourney side things went a bit better, I registered for what I thought was a $100 turbo, but it was a super turbo where you start with 300chips, wtf? After that I got in a couple 4-man heads up shootouts, lost one $22 and won a $22 and an $11. Went deep in a $12 - 90man knockout didn't cash but won enough off knockouts to break even. I think I also took 2nd in an $11 single table before my big score of the evening. I've missed the 150 seat guarantee the last two years and this year I was making a point to play it. I played a $26 sat with 40ish people, payed $76, 100, 177, Seat. Ship it!
I chipped up early and sat around until we were down to two tables. People tightened up so much nearing the final table I started stealing like crazy. I had perfect position with the big stack on my right and two small stacks on my left. Anytime the big stack folded to me I pushed, the only time I got called was for 30% of my chips I had 52clubs vs A7, flopped a 2 and it held up. I was now nearing the chip lead as we got down to 9 players. When we got down to 6 I stole a bunch more with two short stacks trying to min-cash. With three left I had half the chips on the table, I went into heads up with a 3.5-1 chip lead, lost a big post to get close to even then ran away with it.
Felt pretty good especially after donating in the cash games. Not sure if online is my thing, I've had really mixed results. In college I did pretty well and cashed out a bunch, lately I've taken my account up to a couple thousand then blow it down to $200 or so, rebuild and repeat. I definitely don't have the same focus that I bring to live games. I probably won't put too many more hours into online play in the next month or so, I'm going to focus on my next trip to Vegas and a home game/league where I am sitting in 3rd where the top 3 get seats to a $1500 event at the world series. In a couple weeks I have to beat the 4th and 5th place players in a 12-14man tourney to lock it up.

PS I just got it in preflop with AA vs 77 near the bubble in a MTT and the flop came 774, FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment