Monday, April 13, 2009

The satellite win streak continues…

Played a few more sats last night. I was nearing the bubble in a $6.50 6-max MTT to win a seat in a MiniFTOPS event, and somehow went from 3rd in chips to out in 8th with top seven getting paid (5 got seats). I was pretty upset about that one, it’s obviously not a lot of money but I feel like I’m playing well and it sucks to have a momentary lapse after working hard to build a nice stack. After busting out of that and the 10+1 6-max MTT I was playing (again close to the bubble after having a huge stack), it was getting super late and I had work in the morning but I still had one tourney left to finish. I stayed in the top 20 in chips from 50 players down to the final two tables when the blinds started to catch up. Three times I called a small stack’s shove with a small pair against their overcards and won two of them. I was pretty patient and managed to get to the final table with a moderate chip stack.

I got involved with the player on my right from the small blind with K9 suited, flop was K45. I check-called a bet of ½ pot. Turn was a Q, I checked he bet ¼ pot and again I called, (I had ¼ of my stack in the pot now). River was a 7 that did not complete the flush, I checked he made a big bet that was more than half my remaining chips, I tanked and eventually called. He turned over K8 and I took down a nice one; I don’t think I played this one well at all but it ended up working out.

The rest of the final table was a blur, it took forever to get from 5 to 3 players. The stacks were 130k+ on my right, I had 86k and 55k on my left. The top two spots won a Main Event finals ticket. The small stack called ¼ of his stack with an open ended straight draw and hit, then checked the turn and check raised the river to get paid off by the big stack. Now we were all pretty even in chips. I honestly don’t remember what the hands were near the end, I should go back and read the hand history to see what the heck happened. At one point I remember both of the others had ~100k and I was in the 40k range, I 3-bet all in with AQ and the original raiser folded. Then I raised preflop with K10 suited, flopped a K and overbet all in and got called by AQ. We were back to even stacks and I started messing around on my iphone, I look back and the tourney is over and the dialog box says congrats you won a Finals ticket. WTF happened? I was too tired to try to figure out how the last guy was eliminated, or who it was for that matter. I was a little pissed that I stayed up until 2AM when I had work the next morning, but I think I would have been more pissed if I had gone out in 3rd. I’m not sure if the next Main Event finals tourney pays 3 spots or 8 like the last one, but I’m pretty stoked on the idea of winning a seat through freerolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment